I haven't blogged in a while. I haven't had too many interesting things to blog about. So, I decided to dedicate this post to one of the most commonly asked questions...
Yes, Addison is (almost) 21 months and still rear-facing. Yes, I often get plenty of dirty looks, and snide comments. Yes, people look at me like I have 3 heads. I don't care. You can think I am a bad parent. You can laugh behind my back. You can call me overprotective. You can tell me that I am squishing her legs or that she will have crooked legs. You can laugh as you tell me that I am punishing her by having her rear-facing.
Statistics show that children are 5x safer rear-facing than they are forward facing. I didn't make this up people. I have researched car seats since before I was pregnant with Addison. I have read countless articles on the importance of car seat safety. I have installed, un-installed, and re-installed my car seat(s) time and time again only because I needed to get it "just" right. 85% of car seats are not installed properly. Mine is.
Children riding in forward facing seats run a higher risk of being internally decapitated during a rear end collison. I have been rear ended. My neck hurt like hell. If it hurts that bad for me at 20+ years old, then think about how it would feel for a child. Their necks are like pencils and easliy snapped. That is not something that I would want anyone to experience.
So, I am sorry if you think my choice is wrong. You can forward face your child at 1 AND 20, if you want. That is your decision. This is mine, so please keep your snide comments to yourself. I no longer try and inform others around me of the benefits that extended rear-facing provide, but if someone is interested enough to ask me, then I will definitely share my knowledge with them. I have links on the side of this blog for those that are interested.







4 comments:
Well said, Mom!!
Grandpa here, from Joel's Journey.
First of all, I want to thank you for posting a link to our website on your blog. I have seen hits come to our site that were generated from your site, so it does work.
For those of you not familiar with Joel's Journey, here you will find alot of FACTS regarding car seat safety, particularly in regards to extended rear facing children past 12 mos / 20lbs. The site was developed after my 18 mo old / 33 lb grandson broke his neck while in a front facing carseat. He survived, and is doing well. But the FACTS speak for themselves.
Come visit, and then decide how long to rear face your child. I think you will then agree with all of the things Addison's mom said above.
And, as she said, the decision is yours! Only thing I'll add is....choose wisely, because there may not be a second chance.
P.S. Really....but how cute is Addison :)
I love you Jess. I love this blog post - it is very well written. I am so proud of you! Without telling people about extended rear facing, without sending web site links PROVING that it is safer, without the constant research and the time well spent on it, and without your obsessiveness of being a car seat "nazi" as you have been called (if I were on the Parenting board more, I would back you up every time), I would never have known that extended rear facing would be safer than to flip forward facing at one year AND 20 pounds. Without YOU, I wouldnt know what all I know now about car seats. You are my go-to girl. Hudson is 13 months old weighs 20 lbs 8 oz and is rear facing. He will for as long as I can keep him there. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I will be going through what you are right now, I will probably get the faces and I know I will hear it from my mom, but that's okay. This is my choice. This is your choice. I believe with all my heart we made the right one. Thank you for all you do to inform others of extended rear facing. I know you can only do so much and the ones that do take it into consideration and do extended rear facing, then you know you got through to them. You are amazing! I love you!!! Hudson loves you!!
Oh, I forgot to add that I love the fact knowing my son is safe being extended rear facing and all the facts out there that back it up. I am excited to go to the car seat check next month! I hope we do as well as you did! I believe we did, I cant wait to have that piece of mind.
Awesome post! I agree with you totally! I did a ton of research about this as well. Ruth is still rear facing and will be for awhile. I totally know what you mean about people looking at you like you have 3 heads.
Post a Comment