Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What is in a name?

Tim has love the name Ryne since before I met him. When we first started talking about baby names, I absolutely hated the name, but I didn't have the courage to say anything. I knew that it had a special meaning to him, so I decided that I should probably just keep my opinions to myself.

I have gotten many compliments and probably just as many comments in regards to the name that we have picked. Many people believe that we made the name up or that it is a funny spelling for the name Ryan. Neither is true. Ryne is an Irish name. It is also the name of Tim's favorite baseball player (retired) Ryne Sandberg. It is pronounced like R-I-N-E.

I cannot decide if I love it or not. I definitely don't hate it anymore. It is growing on me, but I worry that he will end up correcting people all the time. When people ask and I tell them his name will be Ryne, they automatically assume that I said Ryan. Our ultrasound tech yesterday said, " Oh, all the Ryan's I know are just adorable!". Ugh.

We picked Joseph to honor Tim's grandfather. I think it works well together.

So, Ryne Joseph, I really hope you like your name. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love his name, its so unique! I cannot wait to meet the little man! I am so excited for you, Tim and Addie J!